Thursday, May 06, 2010

Going back to school

After Surrey was born, I felt inclined, if you even want to call it that, to go back to school to pursue a Masters in Dietetics (Food Science and Nutrition). Since I graduated 10 years ago from BYU, a lot of the pre-reqs I took have since longed "expired." So in order to apply to the graduate program, I am having to retake 6 classes: Anat/Phys (and their labs), Chem (& lab), Organic Chem (& lab), Bio Chem (& lab), and Food Science (fortunately, no lab). Since I am enrolled as a non matriculated student, I was required to take College Biology before I register for the above classes. So I did.

In the last 4 months, I worked my arse off. I studied harder than I ever did at The Y. I took meticulous notes. I read, re-read the chapters. I made 3x5 notecards. I typed up spreadsheets listing the differences in cells, their organelles, and functions. I plastered notes, spreadsheets, & laminated cell division charts to my treadmill so that while I trained for My Half, I could study on those long runs. And amidst all of this, Darrin traveled more than 10 weeks of the semester, leaving me home alone with three small children and their demands. But I did it.
And I did it all for a...


B+

Ten years ago, I would have been bouncing off the walls for a B+, but today, I have to admit, I am not sure how to feel. A little discouraged. The final killed me. It was hard and it was cumulative-all 15 chapters crammed into 90 questions. I went into the final with an A-. Oh well, what can you do. You win some, you lose some. And today, I felt like I lost this one.

3 comments:

Tricia said...

You didn't! I know how you feel though. My perspective about how well I need to do in school has definitely changed since I was a full-time student. But still there is that perfectionist side of me that doesn't quite want to go away.

I think you did wonderful. Even the titles of all those classes are intimidating to me and I think you are doing something amazing for yourself and for your kids.

Stacey said...

Don't be so hard on yourself! 10 years ago, a B+ in college was pretty darn good, in my opinion! And now, 10 years later when my brain has been befuddled by children, I think a B+ means you are stinkin' brilliant!!

Corrine said...

you are a total winner in my eyes!