Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Oktoberfest Utah

I love this time of year. I particularly love the changing of seasons, especially from the scorching hot summer days to cool breezes of the nearing Autumn nights. I look forward to September, as I know I will once again be able to put on a pair of jeans, bake a batch of chocolate chip cookies, and smell the tomatoes and onions from my Crockpot spaghetti sauce that has been cooking all day. I love that I can finally turn off the A/C and ceiling fans and just let the fresh cool breeze fill the room or listen to the sound of the rain drops as they hit the ground. I really love watching the leaves turn red, orange, and yellow-the true sign that Autumn has arrived. Now, I can't wait to put pumpkins on my front porch!

So to savor these moments, after church on Sunday, I suggested that we take a drive. Don't care where, just drive somewhere! So Darrin suggested that we drive up little Cottonwood Canyon. We packed the children in the car with plenty to drink and munch as we drove and drove and drove until we hit Snowbird (ok wasn't really that far, 45 minutes maybe). We decided to pull over and just walk around. Little did we know that it's Oktoberfest. I'm in heaven. Did I mention that I love Oktoberfest (we enjoyed a couple in England, minus the alcohol [Darrin was able to go to a real one in Germany too-lucky duck!])? We walked around, took the children on the ski chair lifts, rode the Alpine slides a few times, what a blast. The food there looked incredible: sausage and sauerkraut, strudels, ice cream, aaahhh, I was in heaven. We already had dinner cooking at home, so we had to pass, though it was quite tempting.

Since we are going to Moab this week and weekend, we are planning to take the drive up the Canyon again to bite into one of those sausages and strudels, really savor Oktoberfest! Can't wait...

http://www.snowbird.com/events/concertsnfestivals/oktoberfest.html
The Chair Lift






The Alpine Slide



2 comments:

Corrine said...

looks like fun, cute close up of you.

Cheryl Anne said...

oh, I want to go alpine sliding! We used to to that on our family vacations when we drove across the country...