Thursday, June 12, 2008

Randy Pausch's Last Lecture

For those of you that have seen this lecture, you will understand the reasoning behind posting it on my blog. The other night, I had recorded an Oprah show earlier that day, knowing that I wasn't going to be able to watch it until later. So after the children went to bed, I nestled in my own bed and started to watch the show with Darrin by my side. The Oprah show was featuring people dealing with the deadliest cancers and how they are coping with a knowledge that they are dying. One of the featured guests was Randy Pausch. Darrin immediately recognized him from the you tube video (see below). Oprah allowed him to give the "cliff notes" version of his last lecture.

After finishing, Oprah asked him why he gave that particular lecture as his final lecture to the 400+ attendees. "I think it's great that so many people have benefited from this lecture, but the truth of the matter is that I didn't really even give it to the 400 people at Carnegie Mellon who came. I only wrote this lecture for three people, and when they're older, they'll watch it," he says. He is referring to his three children. If you have a moment, watch it.

1 comment:

Chandler said...

Hey there! It has been too long. I have enjoyed catching up on all your adventures and funny things. Seriously, you have some great days! I need details about Seattle?! I hope all is well and I'm missing you!