Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Breaking Dawn

OK for all of my Twlight series friends, you will be totally disappointed with my review of Breaking Dawn. When I read Twilight, I was thrilled to find another alumnus of BYU English department, who wrote a clean and clever book. However, four books later and how many hundreds of pages, I am bored and tired of hearing the same old thing over and over again. Bella's pursed lips and Edwards chiseled chest and handsome features...
I found the book to be redunant and monotonous-sorry. The climax we have al been waiting for happens a third way into the book: Bella finally becomes a vampire. Couldn't this have happened a couple of books earlier? In fact, the whole rapid pregnancy, the urgency to become a vampire in delivery to save her life, and then the ultra smart, gifted, and rapid growing child was all so unbelieveable that I stopped reading on page 602 and got the cliff notes version of the last 150 pages from my niece. OK, if you don't know you're supposed to be taking birthcontrol on your honeymoon (even if he is a vampire) than you shouldn't be having sex. This proves how juvenile Bella really is.
For me, if I can no longer "identify" with the characters, it becomes tiresome and unrealistic. Jacob gets on my nerves with his immaturity, while both Bella and Edward only appear more and more petty. And the whole Jacob imprinting on Renesme (however you spell it). Good grief! In this day and age, most people would call that pedophilia. I was pulling for Leah or the cute girl in the park, but a baby (Bella's that is, too)? So wrong. The only redeaming part of the book was the honeymoon: it was sweet and totally cute. I am sure that many of us could relate to the whole experience- OK, minus the shredding of pillows and bruises... I am so thrilled I didn't spend the time getting a wrist band, waiting in line at midnight, only to find that I don't even want to finish it. So glad I waited for it in the mail, as there was no rush, as I don't plan on reading my remaining 150 pages for awhile. I have better things to do.

1 comment:

Jana said...

Shredding pillows? You mean that's not normal? HUM! I will have to let Trent know!