Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Seattle Trip

Well, Darrin and I were fortunate, once again, to share an extended weekend alone...sans les enfants! (We gave my parents the pleasure of enjoying two young children for four fun filled days of pure excitement and constant business.) I flew out to Seattle early Friday morning, where Darrin had been on business all week long. Sadly, we missed celebrating his birthday together.

Once arriving in Seattle, I picked up the rental and headed out to Maple Valley, where I met up with my "kindred spirit" cousin, Maggie. (We are so much alike that we actually named our daughters "Megan.") Maggie showed me around, which allowed us to talk and talk and talk. We grabbed lunch at PCCs-heatlth food store that Maggie goes to regularly. I just adore Magggie and her little girls; they are so very sweet! What's even better is that Darrin gets along with Chris-Maggie's hubbie-really well. Can't wait to spend more time with them.

After showing me around, I headed down the notorious I-5 into downtown Seattle. I hit traffic right as I saw the "Welcome to Seattle" sign (what's new?). I literally pulled up to valet parking at the hotel as Darrin walked around the corner from his last meeting. I couldn't have seen a more handsome sight-sorry no photo!

My Aunt Margaret recommened several restaurants and so we picked the closest one we could walk to (didn't feel like sitting any more for the day). Ironically, it was the SAME restaurant Darrin and I ate our very first night on our honeymoon almost 8 years ago (19 August 00). (Yes, we spent our honeymoon in the Seattle area.) We had the most fabulous diner at Union Square Grill http://www.unionsquaregrill.com/. Totally stuffed, we walked around town, shopped, and just talked. Perfect evening.

Early Saturday morning-after running, of course- we walked to Pike Place Market For those who have never been to Seattle, check out the website
http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/frameset.asp?flash=false
We watched what I call the "Dangerous Catch Guys" throw their salmon and crabs around, yelling, and singing, etc... Pure enjoyment! We couldn't stay long, as we had to head out to Renton and Issaquah (where I found the cutest neighborhood tod show Darrin) before Seafair started http://www.seafair.com/. (If I am not pregnant, I plan to run the half marathon next year. Maggie, will you join me???)

That afternoon, we met up with Darrin's long time buddy at the Tacoma Glass Museum. Afterwards, we had a picnic on the beach before we had to head back into Seattle, where Darrin and I could finally see "The Dark Knight" on IMax! Talk about a thrill! The screen is huge and it truly felt like you were right there. Heath Ledger was amazing, though it still makes me cry just thinking about him-so sad!

Sunday morning, we drove to Redmond, where we went to Sacrament meeting. We "toured" the sights and neighborhoods before retiring to my Aunt Saundra's and Uncle Don's home for dinner in downtown Seattle. They drove us to see "the troll" and Shilshore beach. It had been in the 60s and 70s F all weekend long and then 50s F in the evening. Talk about the most perfect summer nights-at least for me. It was truly lovely watching the sunset.

Monday, Darrin headed into the Microsoft building (he was supposed to take the day off...), and where he still is today! I was able to drive through Redmond before catching my flight back home to rescue my parents. I admit though, that I missed Jack and Megan terribly. I don't go anywhere without children in tow and so I felt a little empty handed. I also wish they could have seen the water; they would have just loved it.

The guys at Microsoft want Darrin out there again next week, and I am sure the following too. Chances are, Jack and Megan will be seeing Seattle ("Attle according to Jack) sooner than later. I know that they will love it there just as much as Darrin and I do.

Sorry no photos yet...

(Friday, August 1st to Monday, August 4th)

2 comments:

Jana said...

So fun!!! How nice to just walk around town with your hubby. Sorry he is still gone! I am slways here if you need a break. You know that, right? Seattle!! Jenn and her hubby lived there for a while when he was in the Navy. Jill and I spent some summer weeks with them. I was in 6th grade. Loved, loved it! Pikes Place was a fav!! I am glad you got to spend some time with your cuz. That is always fun to catch up. Glad you had a good time. You very much deserve one.

Kiersten Allred said...

What a fun trip! I LOVE Seattle! Our dream is to have Penn get a job with Boeing and we can move there.